What is the Jones Act?
If you work in the maritime industry, the Jones Act is one of the most important pieces of legislation on the books for protecting your rights as a maritime worker. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at what the Jones Act is, what it means for those working in the maritime industry, and how a San Francisco Jones Act lawyer can help you take advantage of the protections that this legislation offers.
The Jones Act Explained
Formerly known as the Merchant Mariners Act, the Jones Act is a federal law that governs the liability of maritime employers and vessel operators when it comes to work-related injuries that take place in the maritime industry.
There are a number of instances where the Jones Act is applicable. Sustainable bases for the Jones Act include cases involving things such as:
- Instances where an injury takes place because a maritime employer failed to provide a safe working environment.
- Instances where proper medical care was not provided following a maritime injury.
- Instances where an injury took place due to the fact that the vessel where the employee was working was not seaworthy.
- Instances where an injury takes place due to safety statute violations.
- Instances where a maritime employer fails to rescue or search for an employee who has jumped or fallen overboard.
- Instances where a maritime employer fails to maintain a competent crew.
- Instances where a maritime worker is injured due to the negligence of his employer or co-workers.
- Instances where the vessel that an employee is working on is not a safe place to work and live.
In all of these cases, the Jones Act serves as a basis for a wrongfully injured maritime employee to pursue the compensation that they deserve. If you have been involved in any incident such as the ones listed above, a San Francisco Jones Act lawyer will be able to help.
When to Contact a San Francisco Jones Act Lawyer
The Jones Act provides important protections to those who work in the maritime industry. Cases involving the Jones Act, though, must be handled by an expert maritime lawyer that is experienced at using the Jones Act to fight for the compensation that maritime workers deserve.
If you have been involved in a maritime incident that has left you injured and unable to work, it is a good idea to contact a San Francisco Jones Act lawyer as soon as possible. A maritime lawyer who is experienced at handling cases involving the Jones Act will be able to learn more about your case and help you fight for the compensation that you deserve.